3/03/2006

Vacation in La-La Land - Part duex

I've had several people ask for details of our vacation. Let me say I'm sorry first. I have not sat down to blog much because I came home and got sick - - yeeeee-haw. I have decided that I will do smaller blogs about each portion of the trip.

You have already heard about our trip to the beach. (see other post) It was so fun. What you didnt hear about is the car rental fiasco. That will be a whole other blog dearies. You know I won't let the chance go by to rant about that.

So after we spent half the day at the beach we took the kids on up into LA. They were more interested in all the grafitti and razorwire surrounding all things motionless. Sara couldn ot understand. I felt like I needed a bath after it all.

We took then to the tourist spots of Hollywood. Of course, Gromans Chinese Theater was at the top of the list. I warned the girls of the freak-show that may occur there. Sure enough the wierdos were there in force. A guy dressed up like a demon was there as well as a very aged Marilyn Monroe and Elvis. Fat, Vegas years Elvis. Niiice. "Marilyn" had several yippity little dogs with her. I'm not so sure as to why.

We proceeded around all the cement squares where stars have left their mark. Sara kept saying "this place creeps me out Mommy". I could not figure out why so I take her to see Julie Andrews square and explain that these were the hands of Mary Poppins! Wow is what I expected. A shocked smirk is what I got. Okay, fine kiddo, not easily impressed, huh? I took her to see C-3PO and R2-D2 from Star Wars. She was still yucked out. Same with Shirley Temple, who is beloved at our house. The 6 yr old was determined not to be excited. So I pulled out the big guns and showed her Donald Ducks square. Her eyes were huge as she examined the large webbed duck feet. "Finally!" I thought. She then turns to me and says "Mom, can we go?"

Geez.

Fast forward two day. We were at a character breakfast with Minnie Mouse and all her friends. Sara is chewing on her Micky Mouse shaped waffles and looks at me solemnly and says "It sure is a shame about that Donald Duck". now, mind you - - we have seen many a Disney character by now. I had NO IDEA what she was talking about... So I take the bait. "Honey, what are you talking about?" "You know, that he's DEAD"

WHAT?

"Babydoll, Donald Duck is not dead. Why would you think Donald is dead?"

"Because - - you know Mommy - -his feet" Yeaaaaaaah, I still have no clue. She then says "You know - at the funeral home we were at with the feet."

Click! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH. "You mean the Chinese Theater!!! Honey he was not BURIED there! That was not a cemetary! Thats where they left their mark."

"Ooooooooh" she says. The instant look of relief smears all over her face. Then she says "Kind of like the grafitti?"

How do I explain to my daughter the difference when I have been telling them how aweful it was that people would spray grafitti on things that were not theirs.
Anyhoo, other things that happened that night? They did not turn the lights on around the freakin Hollywood sign. HELLO? Who's the schmuck that's supposed to flip that light switch? I was really sad that my girls did not get to see it all lit up.
We also saw a real, live movie premier, complete with the red carpet, paparazzi and bling a plenty. It's for a comedy called "Seat Fillers". I know nothing about it, but we saw 2 stars that we knew of - Kelly Rowland from Destiny's Child and Jada Pinkett-Smith. We walked around the Kodak theater where they were already getting ready for the Oscar's, which was cool. Overall, it was a fun evening.
Next vacation blog entry? Disneyland, day one.

2 comments:

NeverEnough said...

This makes me terrified of going to Disneyland this summer. I'm so not looking forward to the trip to Cali either.

Joygirl1 said...

Naaaaw - - Disneyland is great. LA is what is scary! And it's not even bad. I loved it. Even if you feel like you need to bathe after being in all that smog. ;)