3/31/2006

Baaaaaaad Bosses

my darling dearest friend Tracy blogged about her worst bosses the other day and it really got me to thinking about my "boss history". We've all had terrible experiences in one way or the other. Mine are no exception...

When I was 15 I worked for my Dad's dear friends whom I had known my entire life.

Greeks.

Being a Greek myself I didnt think a thing about it - I would be favored, right? WRONG.

He would go into rants about anything and we allllllll got screamed at. I distinctly remember his spit landing on my cheek. Joy ouuuut.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
One summer I worked at a snow cone stand for about 20 hours a week. I loved it - it was always freezing cold and I COULD EAT ALL THE SNOW CONES I WANTED. Thats alot to a teen. My boss was rarely around - it was all together great...except -
He would freaking pay me in dollar bills. I'd get 87 gollar bills and he'd make me count them back to him. I kept the job till school started but decided that as for working next year - I was done with my fingernails being stained the colors of the rainbow and getting paid in dollar bills like a bad stripper. At least this boss was not as bad as my next boss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Next is the WORST BOSS EVER.
Seriously, this jerk should be in jail - - I hope he is.

I worked at Sutherlands lumber (it's like Lowe's) for a summer. I doubt it's like this now, but all the cashiers were female and we were referred to as the Sutherlands girls. We were told to look a certain way (ie. always wear makeup and no pony tails), and act a certain way with our predominintly male clientele. No problem. It was better than being a Hooters girl...

Well... enter ther BOSSMAN FROM HELL.
He would reach into you till and take a doller or two and tell you to reconcile it by shorting a customer his change as bossman was stuffing it into his pocket. If you did not reconcile you got written up - - 3 times and you were out. If you asked how we were to short a customer with out them knowing he's say things like "you better turn on your sexuality so that he won't notice". Seriously...

The worst part was the physical sexual harassment we dealt with from him. Things like this would NEVER happen today - - I'd be a very rich girl

If he caught you bending over under your register or anthing at all he would come and ram his crotch into your butt and slap your hip. He would constantly rub across your chest "by accident" and many more disgusting things. He was a fat, old man with bad breath. I could not take it... 2 months and I was outta there. 2 MONTHS you say... Why did I wait that long? I promised my parents I would work all summer to pay for my gas money. I was basically working for gas and as a teenager it was hard to get jobs. I really did not know any better I am ashamed to say. Back then nothing was ever said about harassement in the workplace.

I've had 2 female bosses - both of them toooo much to deal with - I won't elaborate except to say its the PITS working under women.

I have also worked for my husband -- he was "the boss". That worked fine for me. I really still got my way all the time.
And as for sexual harassement in that workplace - - happened ALLLLLL the time. And that was OOOOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAAY

1 comment:

Joygirl1 said...

OMG, I cant believe you just said that!