10/17/2005

Chirstmas Movie Top 5


Okay, I got a comment from rhea (Alicat) that I forgot the top 5 movies of the holiday season. She was totally right! This is her comment.

GAAAAWD JOY! You totally forgot the top FIVE most popular reasons for loving the holiday season!
1. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation !
2. Miracle on 34th Street !
3. White Christmas !
4. A Christmas Carol
and last but NOT least creme'dla creme'(or whatever),Its A Wonderful Life! Sheesh! LOL I'm all excited too!


Now understand... Allison takes Christmas seriously. Veeeery seriously, as do I. You must have the quientessential Christmas movie viewings throughout the season. Here is my list, which has been revised since I had children.

1. White Christmas. This movie gets put in the machine the day after Thanksgiving, when we pull out the tree and my boxes full of decorations. You simply cannot decorate for Christmas with out White Christmas. It's classic! I still want those big blue fans that were in the Sisters number.

2. The Grinch. This is a newer movie on my list. Jim Carrey was perfect. This movie brings out the inner child in all of us. Plus, we all turn into the Grinch for at least one day every season... admit it! You know, you are at the mall and that little biotch pulls into your parking space before you and you want to get out and strangle her with tinsle? On that day I feel like Grinch on top of the mountain saying "I Loooooaaaathe them entirely!" Love it.

3. A Christmas Story. Who doesnt relate with this adorably chubby little boy and his trials and tribulations of a family Christmas? This is the movie that reminds me of my childhood, even though it was set in the 50's. To this day I wish I could still smell the smell of little plastic ornaments and Christmas Tree.

4. Home Alone. Another movie I have added since my children came about. Talk about funny. It is the only movie that Macauley Culkin did that I can stand. He sucked from then on, admit it. It's a wholesome family movie that you can sit and watch with your kids during the holidays with a big bowl of popcorn. Everyone knows it's totally a make believe story - - real children would have burnt the house to the ground on day 1!

5. A Christmas Carol/Scrooged. There are many versions of Dickens' story. I have seen (I think) all of them, including the newest version with Kelsy Grammer. It was okay, but if you are going to watch the movie religously every year, you have to find your favorite. Growing up, we always watched the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge on TV. My personal favorite is the 1984 version with George C. Scott as Scrooge. It is still older, so I can call it a classic in my house, but it's not black and white, so my children do not get bored. Can I also say that its not a Christmas season without Bill Murray in Scrooged? He is SO funny.

Now see? I limited the list to the top 5, but there are still so many more to list! I hate limits! For example, they are not movies, but remember all those claymation movies we watched as a kid? And what about the cartoons like The Grinch and the Peanuts Christmas and Frosty the Snowman? Who remembers the Family Circle Christmas show? And of course, all the Muppets Christmas, including the Muppets version of A Christmas Carol.

My kids would have an entirely different list. I KNOW they would add The Santa Clause and The Santa Clause 2, both adorable movies. And of course, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is a MUST. We watch that while we are decorating. Every year, when we are fixing the turkey Monty says "Save the neck for me Clark" And even my teenagers quote the movie when we walk outside into the cold by saying " Wow, it's really nipply outside". LOLOL It never stops being funny.


BTW, who my age remembers on Thanksgiving day for several years MTV played the movie length version of Michael Jackson's Thriller? LOL! We thought it was SOOOO cool! My cousins and brothers and I would pile up on out Granny's bed and watch it while the adults were watching football.

Anyway, there is my Christmas top 5, plus a few extra's. I know my husband will shame me by saying "JOY, what about this movie and that movie". He really is the movie maven. What movies are your favorites??


No comments: